Let’s just cut to the chase. I didn’t take care of my skin when I was younger and now that I’m in my early 30’s I’m beginning to see the damage. Sun spots. Wrinkles. Large pores. Dullness. I’m sure I could name a few more but I’ll stop there. It doesn’t help that I’ve had three children which made my hormones go on a crazy rollercoaster. I heard once that our 30’s are supposed to be when we “figure it all out” and look/feel our best. So here I am, a 31 year old on a mission to look and feel my best.
I know I can’t completely reverse the damage I did baking in the sun or under lamps (currently hiding face in shame) in my teenage years. I can, however, make the most of what I’ve got and make it look as good and healthy as possible. I’ve recently started a regular routine and am seeing some pretty great changes. I like to share things so here we go…these are the 5 things I’ve been doing that have changed my skin. I started all of these things around the same time so I can’t say it was just one product or lifestyle change that took my skin to the next level. I’d like to think it’s a combination of all of these. I don’t plan on changing my routine anytime soon…if anything I’ll add to it.
- I drink a gallon of water on the days I work out. I go to the gym three times a week and make it a point to drink lots of water on those days. I do my best to drink just as much on the days I don’t work out but don’t always meet that goal. Since I started doing this my skin feels so hydrated. This might be a no brainer for some of you but I am one who can make it through the day and realize at 8:00 pm that I’ve only had my daily cup of coffee to drink. Not good! *I know this isn’t a “product” but it was a change I made at the same time as these other ones so it had to be on the list.
- Next up, Collagen Peptides. Cue the angels singing. You guys. I love this stuff. I feel like it has truly made a difference in my skin. I got this particular brand in my February Bless Box and was so excited. I had been doing my research prior to getting it and was set on buying some on my next Costco run. I add it to my coffee in the morning, to a shake or I’ll chug it in my water but that’s not my favorite way to go. It says its flavorless but that’s a tiny fib. I taste it and I would prefer not to. Since taking this my hands and feet are so soft! Again, my skin feels much more hydrated than ever before.
- Nature’s Bounty Optimal Solutions Hair Skin and Nails vitamins. I got a big bottle at Costco and truly get excited to eat them. I’m like my children at bedtime when they get their gummy vitamins. They are a tasty little bedtime treat. It’s suggested to take 2 per day but I take 3. Call me a rebel. A little extra biotin never hurt anyone…that I know of. Don’t quote me on that. My nails are stronger. My hair feels better and less dry.
- Paula’s Choice RESIST Advanced Kit. So here’s the deal. I bought Rodan + Fields back in September and really liked it. It did a great job of clearing up my skin but could be pretty harsh at times. My skin would react to it by getting dry and irritated so I’d have to back off for a bit and then start back up again. It took a while for me to see results but overall I was pleased with it…except for the price. A girl I went to junior high and high school with, Meredith, started a youtube channel and made a video on her morning skincare routine. She mentioned Paula’s Choice and a whole lot of other things I’d never heard of so I sent her a message asking some questions. She laid it all out there for me and I’m so thankful! I did my research and just about every review I found on this company was good! I’m a researcher so I will read reviews for a while before I purchase something. I made my decision pretty quick on this stuff. I’m so glad I did. No joke, after maybe 2-3 uses I was seeing results! The texture of my skin was better. It was hydrated. I didn’t react negatively to it at all. It’s so gentle yet powerful! I have nothing but good things to say. You get 3 free samples of other products with each order and I’ve yet to not like something. It’s just so good and a little easier on the bank account than R+F.
- Ora Microneedle. 540 needles rolling over my face to help wrinkles, pores, texture and pigmentation sounded pretty daunting. My sister is an avid R+F user and has their micro needle roller. Her skin is beautiful. So I talked to her about it and of course did my research before ordering one. I got mine in, used it that night and I swear I could see a difference the next morning. It isn’t pain free…it does initially hurt a bit. It doesn’t make you bleed (however there are different sizes that can make you bleed). My eyes definitely water when I roll over certain areas. So what it does is “puncture” your skin with tiny holes from the needles to prompt your skin to create collagen and elastin to heal the little holes. It also allows your skin to absorb your serums better. Funny side note, my husband calls this my “face aerator”. Ha, I guess essentially that’s what I’m doing.
So there you have it. Was it one of these products? Or was it a combination of all of them that made me see a change? I don’t know but I do know I don’t want to make any changes anytime soon. Like I mentioned earlier I would like to add a few things to this routine to hopefully further my results. Overall since starting these things I’ve seen the following changes: Hydrated skin, dry patches on knees and elbows are smaller, my hands and feet are smooth and soft, my heels aren’t dry and cracked, my hair feels healthier and less dry, my face is smooth and I’m able to get away with just a little concealer under the eyes, more even skin tone, my eye wrinkles appear smaller and the list goes on.
All of these things worked for me but I also did a lot of research before just diving in. Do your own as well! Have you tried any of these products? What are some of your favorite skin care products?